Wednesday 25 February 2009

Frances Fuller three stages of model of concerns

The concerns stated below refers to my Week 6 lesson with Year 3A of Sekolah Rendah Mabohai, which was learning about storage devices.

Stage 1 - Self concerns

- The introduction was simple enough for the pupils to understand but my concern was whether they understood the ICT terms that I introduced to them i.e. storage, devices, pen drives, compact disk and diskette.
- Explaining about the function of the storage devices took a short time and I wonder if the pupils could comprehend to what extent the functionality of each stated device was.
- During the practical of the usage of the pen drive, I was concern about the fact while one group was working the other group was just loitering around doing nothing.. I did not prevision that would occur.

Stage 2 - Task concerns

- The class was a big class (about 33 pupils) and I was not well-prepared in handling the flow of the lesson.
- Task given were not enough to cater all the pupils.
- Grouping into two to carry out one task was inadequate. There should have been about 5 groups to minimize wastage of time.
- Because of the concerns above, I am concerned about not being creative enough planning a well-prepared lesson.
- I am concerned about conflict between my studies (theory) and my teaching practise (practical).
- I am concerned about my inability to manage all the ICT usage requirement (fully utilizing the available resources) - that time I wanted to use the Macbooks but I didn't have the passwords and my CT was not around, hence used my own laptop to do the practical.
- I am concerned about the time spent working with non-academic problems related to teaching with ICT (managing the class to settle down and pay attention within the period)
- I am VERY MUCH concern with the fact that each class is only allocated 1 period each week to learn ICT.
- The fact that the ICT lab in the school has no wireless network is of dire concern.

Stage 3 - Learning concerns

- I am concerned about how the use of IT affects pupils who do not have a computer or a notebook at home.
- I would like to revise the ICT scheme of work so that it would work hand in hand with the other subjects.
- I am concerned that some pupils with low command of English would instead be overwhelmed by the ICT terms used and be demotivated instead to learn ICT.

No comments: